Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Because vintage and consignment shopping is the ultimate hunt, consider this your field guide for “new-to-you” stores in the Washington, D.C. metro area. We’ve included best bets for both Mad Men-era duds and sources for gently-used, high-end designer bags and shoes at way less than retail. At 38 stores, this list feels hefty, but as always, we want to hear if we left anything out.
1. Lipstick Lounge
Gucci, Gucci, Louis, Louis, Fendi, Fendi, Prada — Tory Burch, Coach, Burberry? The labels just don’t stop at Lipstick Lounge consignment shop in Gaithersburg.
2. Chic to Chic
8 VINTAGE SHOPS & THRIFT STORES FOR NEW-TO-YOU FINDS IN WASHINGTON, DC
Step up your style game and embrace your inner fashionista at these hip DC shops.
From luxe labels to locally owned boutiques, there’s no shortage of places for DC’s fashionable crowd to make a statement – and their last-season finds are your newest treasures. Get thrifty at these vintage boutiques for second-time-around gems.
When you think of cool, this vintage boutique in Adams Morgan fits the bill. Around for nearly 25 years, Meeps specializes in vintage clothing, costumes and accessories. Get your Mad Men vibe on with a selection that includes clothing dating back to the 1960s—or shop for an over-the-top outfit in the store’s extensive costume section.
This glam consignment shop specializes in luxe labels like Chanel, Fendi, Hermes and Saint Laurent, just to name a few. The owners work with consignors from not only DC, but other haute cities like Paris, New York and Palm Beach – meaning you get to explore the closets of fashionistas from far and wide.
With four locations in the DC area, Current is the go-to hot spot for the city’s fashionistas in search of second-hand finds. Each store is a treasure trove of classic and of-the-moment designers, along with a few new pieces for good measure.
Fia’s Fabulous Finds
Fia’s offers just what it’s name says: fabulous finds. The consignment shop trades in nearly-new women’s clothing and hosts a local artists-in-residence right in the shop. Stop in to pick up the latest fashions and delve deeper into DC’s local arts scene.
Yes, you can stock up on vinyl in this Adams Morgan music store, but you can also shop for vintage and indie designer fashions to complete your punk rock look. Get outfitted in the afternoon and rock out at the 9:30 Club that night!
Secondi is Dupont Circle’s longest-running women’s consignment shop, featuring both the latest styles and timeless classics since 1986! Secondi has something for everyone–whether you are a designer collector, a fashionable professional, a trendsetter, or a woman on the go. Find your favorite labels all in one boutique!
Our store is a sunny and spacious meeting place. We not only welcome customers from all over the world, we are honored to have consignors from all over the U.S.!
Our dedicated staff includes several members who have been with the store over ten years, and Secondi has been owned and operated by Caitrine Callison since opening.
Our staff, our great location, our loyal consigners, and our first-rate selection makes Secondi a warm, intimate shop where you can find everything you need to look your best, at a reasonable price!
HERE’S WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS HAVE TO SAY
“All the great designers and knowledgeable staff make shopping here a fabulous experience!” — DC CityPaper
Easy to get hooked on this consignment store! –Marni W.
It’s as good as consignment shops get. –Catherine C.
Secondi re-enforced my faith in consignment shops. –Lisa M.
This is a great place to look for all the designer styles but at much more reasonable prices! – Michelle M.
All you fashion-conscious women out there — I would really suggest making the trip to check this place out. – Alexis G.
The staff is pleasant and does a good job of keeping the enormous inventory well-organized. – Judi D.
Besides the reasonable prices, it’s nice to hit up Secondi for clothing that might not be the very same item that every woman in DC seems to be sporting on a given week. – Erin W.
Definitely was not disappointed. In fact, had to pry myself away! –Lara R.
I walked upstairs and the staff welcomed me immediately the atmosphere was bright and warm. I had a hard time leaving and LOVED the adventure of not knowing what I’d find. – Mel B.
our first consignment is done by appointment so that we can create an account for you and do the following:
- Review each one of your pieces carefully.
- Explain which pieces we will (or will not) accept and why so you have a clear understanding for future consignments.
- Price your pieces and review the prices with you.
- Provide you with an itemized receipt and a copy of your contract.
To schedule an appointment, please call us at 202-667-1122. Following your appointment, your items go out to sell the same day!
TERMS OF CONSIGNMENT
- As the consignor you will receive 50 % of the selling price once your item has sold! You may use this money as store credit or request a check.
- Checks are issued only by request: since it is your money we will wait to hear from you. To keep our request volume manageable we ask you request payment no more than once a month. We will let you know at the time of request when your check will be ready!
- Please know we are unable to return items once they are consigned at Secondi. If an item has not sold by the end of its designated selling period, or if we find after accepting it that the item is soiled, damaged, or defective in any way, we reserve the right to donate it in your name to Bread for the City or Martha’s Table. We are happy to provide tax forms upon request after the end of the year.
- Exceptions to this policy can be made for select high-end items. Please contact us before your appointment for more information.
These are our most important terms for consigning at Secondi; we will personally review all of the terms of our consignment contract with you during your appointment to make sure we answer any questions you may have!
WHAT WE ACCEPT FOR CONSIGNMENT
What we accept at any one time is determined by our current inventory.
- We ask consignors to please bring a maximum of 20 items per consignment.
- We accept contemporary women’s clothing, shoes, jewelry, handbags, and accessories that are no more than 2 years old, in excellent condition, and most important–in style! (No Hammer pants, zoot suits, acid-washed jeans, shoulder pads, etc.)
- We accept better department store and designer/couture labels; please see our Label Guidelines if you are unsure. Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions about a specific label.