It’s one of the worst-kept secrets around — finding mature clothing that isn’t frumpy, shapeless, or “granny-like” can feel impossible. Luckily, the best clothing stores for women over 50 aren’t few and far between. Retailers are becoming more aware of the fact that women over 50 do care about style. Now, clothing that helps you look as young as you feel is only a click away. But before we start shopping, let’s delve into some helpful tips to ensure your next shopping excursion is a success, whether you’re searching for sundresses or swimsuits.
With maturity comes body changes. Just as we learned to embrace the changes that occurred in our teenage years, embracing changes over 50, such as a fuller waistline or changing bra size, is essential to finding clothing you’ll adore. This doesn’t mean you must sacrifice fun or style. It’s just a reminder to look for pieces that flatter the beautiful body you have now.
How to Dress With Style Over 50
Finally, the fun part! The first step to dressing with style over 50 is to find your style. Ask around, and you’re bound to get varying answers, but there are six general style types you may fall into.
1. Preppy: Women with a preppy style gravitate towards clothing that’s classic, clean-cut, or nautical. Blazers, colored pants, and striped anything are staples you can’t bear to live without.
2. Casual: Women with a casual style will gladly dress down rather than up. This doesn’t mean you’re wearing sweatpants everywhere you go! Comfort is key; sloppiness is not. If you have a casual style, your staple pieces might include a great pair of jeans, comfortable blouses, and the ever-essential fitted t-shirt.
3. Trendy: Women with a trendy style take looks that are trending (new and old) and make them their own. This means incorporating fun prints, new cuts, and cool accessories into your everyday wardrobe.
4. Classy: Women with a classic style typically feel best in clothing that is elegant, tailored, and a bit more structured. For you, nothing beats a classic pair of slacks, a chic pencil skirt, or a slick sheath dress.
5. Bohemian: Women with a bohemian style embrace the artist within, opting for clothing that is light, flowy, and covered in bold colors and exotic prints. Classic staples for this style include crocheted tops, flowing maxi skirts, and loose pastel-colored tops.
6. Minimalist: Women with a minimalist style find the beauty in simplicity by sticking to a limited color palette, simple silhouettes, and minimal accessories. Neutral blocks of color are your go-tos, and the only print in your closet is the striped button-down shirt you wear on occasion.
The Best Clothing Stores for Women Over 50
Now that you’ve solidified the style that suits you best, what are the best clothing stores for women over 50? Well, they include brick-and-mortar legacy retail stores, like Nordstrom, Ann Taylor, and Bloomingdales, as well as newer shops, like Everlane, Uniqlo, and Elaine Turner. Ready to line your closet with some new flattering fashion staples? Keep scrolling for the best shops for womens clothing over 50, as well as select pieces to add to your closet today.
Talbots has been around for more than 70 years. In that time, it has become a tried-and-true spot for the preppy among us, offering fun takes on the basics we all love, from cropped pants to blazers. The brand offers a great range of sizes, including misses sizes, petite sizes, plus sizes, and plus-size petite sizes.
This ivory eyelet top from Talbots is a must-have for any self-described preppy woman. The sleeveless top is made from 100-percent cotton, making it a staple that can be worn on its own throughout the summer, or with a classic cardigan on cool nights.
Offering a selection of clothing one could call a more casual form of preppy, Lands’ End is a brand well-known for embracing the kitchy and nautical aspects of the preppy style we all adore. The company was founded by a sailor — not a fashion designer — and launched as a mail-order business for yachting gear in 1963. In the years since, Lands’ End has focused on quality, classic fashion.
No preppy closet is complete without a pair of plaid twill pants — but don’t be fooled, Lands’ End’s Stretch Mid-Rise Ankle Pants aren’t your everyday twill pants. Made from a cotton/spandex blend, these twill pants keep the classic ankle pant style you love with the added stretch comfort of a pull-on trouser. It’s a look that is all style and comfort.
Not Your Daughter’s Jeans
Made with mature women in mind, Not Your Daughter’s Jeans was founded to fit any and every body around. Aside from finding the perfect pair of jeans, you’ll also be able to find some wonderful casual pieces that are bound to become favorites.
We couldn’t mention Not Your Daughter’s Jeans on this list without bringing up the namesake they’re famous for. Made with NYDJ’s trademark Lift Tuck Technology, these Sheri Slim jeans hug in all the right places. And unlike the more constricting skinny jean, this slim jean doesn’t taper at the ankle, streamlining the length of your legs and keeping you comfortable all day long. These skinnies come in sizes 00 to 28W.
Best Women’s Clothes and Accessories Over 50 – Online Fashion
Just because we’re older doesn’t mean we have to look frumpy! I’ve put together a list of the best women’s clothes and accessories over 50 you can buy online that include clothing, shoes, jewelry, and accessories to help you look classy and chic. It’s not always easy to find sizes to fit our ever-changing post-menopause figures but these wonderful stores offer flattering styles and a variety of sizes. I don’t know about you but it’s frustrating going to the mall where most of the stores cater to size zero young women.
Online Stores that feature the best Women’s Clothes Over 50 Who Aren’t Twigs
- Box of Style by The Zoe Report – This is a seasonal subscription box curated by The Zoe Reports, the online style destination of stylist, designer, and editor Rachel Zoe. I love this company because her sense of style is classic and glamorous. Each Box of Style is anchored by a signature “hero” piece that retails over $100, and every box is valued at over $400. If you’re looking for chic and class this brand offers the best women’s clothes you can find.
- Brora – If you live in sweater country, you will love the gorgeous Scottish made real-wool sweaters, shawls, and accessories, and knitwear from Brora. They have a full selection of cashmere cardigans, coats, ponchos, dresses, trousers, sleepwear, and more for women, men, and kids.
- Covered Perfectly – This is a fabulous site for clothing that specializes in tops and vests for women over 50 and is owned by a woman entrepreneur named Pauline Durban. If you have a tummy to cover or hips you want to hide they have just the clothing choices for you and their style is classy. Pauline uses Micro Modal fabric which is breathable and comfortable. All of her items are made in the U.S. and she gives excellent customer service. Get a discount for 1 or 2 items using the code BB20. Gift certificates are available. Read my review of one of her cascading vests here and another beautiful top here.
- Dia&Co – If you wear a size 14-32 plus sizes, you’ll love this website. You can order either an active or style box of items that are customized to fit your size, body type, color preferences, and other criteria. You’ll enjoy a curated in-home shopping experience that helps you prevent shopping mistakes.
- Dorothee Schumacher – It’s not just a label but is an attitude. Contemporary women’s clothing for your lifestyle. Using only the highest standards their clothes are made with fine materials with subtle, classy designs.
- LACAUSA Clothing – Ethical, environmentally conscious, fair work practices, low waste clothing company based in Los Angeles. Comfortable and stylish made with natural fabrics.